1. Discuss the Miller-Urey experiment and explain the major theories as to how life on earth could have began (starting at bio molecules) (H)
2. Discuss and analyze evidence of evolution - radiocarbon (radioactive) dating, relative dating, comparative anatomy, DNA/amino acid evidence, and fossil evidence.
3. Construct and analyze a cladogram for both traits and amino acids.
4. Compare/Contrast Lamarck and Darwin and their ideas of evolution.
5. Discuss the mechanism of evolution - natural selection - and how it can affect both microevolution (gene pools) and macroevolution (changes in populations)
6. Compare and contrast natural selection and artificial selectio.
7. Understand Microevolution - Discuss variation in a population, gene pool, selection pressures and speciation
8. Understand Macroevolution - Discuss how populations change over time as the result of natural selection.
9. Discuss and provide examples of isolation in terms of speciation: Allopatric, Sympatric, Parapatric
10. Discuss and provide examples of prezygotic mechanisms of speciation - Temporal, Behavioral, Habitat, Mechanical, and Genetic
11. Discuss and provide examples of postzygotic mechanisms of speciation - Hybrid sterility, hybrid inviability, and hybrid breakdown
12. Discuss and provide examples of types of evolution - coevolution, adaptive radiation, convergent and divergent evolution
13. Discuss and give examples of the speeds of evolution - gradualism and punctuated equilibrium
History of Life on Earth
History of Life on Earth in 24 hours
The Miller-Urey Experiment (H)
Chemical History of Life on Earth (H)
Evidence of Evolution
Overview of Evidence of Evolution (Stated Clearly)
Overview of Evidence of Evolution (Bozeman Science)
Constructing a cladogram
Constructing a cladogram (Bozeman Science)
Mechanisms of Evolution
Natural Selection (Amoeba Sisters)
Natural Selection (Bozeman Science)
Types of Natural Selection (Disruptive, Stablizing, Directional)
Speciation (Amoeba sisters)
Speciation (Bozeman Science)
Genetic Drift (Amoeba sisters)
Genetic Drift (Bozeman science)
Unit 3 - History of Life on Earth Practice Problems
Unit 3 - History of Life on Earth Practice Problems (key)
Unit 3- Evidence of Evolution Practice Problems
Unit 3 -Evidence of Evolution Practice Problems (key)
Unit 3 - Mechanisms of Evolution Practice problems
Unit 3 - Mechanisms of Evolution Practice problems (key)
Unit 3 - Human evolution lab quiz (Khan Academy)